[Hackrf-dev] getting started

Larry DiGioia n8ku at longwire.com
Wed Aug 20 19:45:28 EDT 2014

OK. Let me start by saying that GNURadio is over my head. I could spend
the hours I need to learn it, but I am a ham, this is only a hobby. It
just isn't my idea of fun. I only have so many hours to spare, which I
would prefer to spend outside improving my antennas. Michael did his
best to convince me at Dayton, but I just can't see it. I just want a
good DC to Daylight receiver.

I have my hackrf. I have an assortment of very modern computers.

I previously played with the Funcube dongle, with great success, using
GQRX (reluctantly) on Ubuntu. Sold it on EBay as soon as my HackRF was
shipped. (I prefer Debian.) Anyway, I tried firing up Pentoo. I actually
tried to install it permanently, big mistake. The I realized that
running it live is probably better. But I could not get GQRX to work there.

I even tried the GNURadio compile script on a laptop, worked fine. Still
couldn't get past the introductory docs, so I installed GQRX... which
killed even the utility that tells me the HackRF is there.

I installed Andy's Ham Linux (Ubuntu again.) Voila! GQRX and GNURadio,
on the same box, and both (theoretically) work. I fired up GQRX, and it
only has a choice of "other" for hardware, but it seems to work - I have
audio, which is definitely affected by my gain settings, but not a
signal in sight. Tried HF, FM, nothing.

I am about at the end of my rope. I would really hate to have to run
Windows, but it may come to that. What else am I missing?

Larry N8KU

--
"When people are free to do as they please,
  they usually imitate each other."

                                      Eric Hoffer