[Hackrf-dev] I lost the pre-amp on the HackRF. How to get it back ?

Ben Z en de rest hoofdeigenwijs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 15:48:07 EDT 2014

Hi,
I received my HackRF a week ago. Did run some tests on SDRSharp, works
quite OK but a lot of imaging / mirrorred signals.

Switched to SDRConsole, much better, after setting bandwidth from auto to 5
MHz the imaging and mirrorred signals disappeared.
I did turn on the internal amplifier in SDRConsole. That way I was able to
receive meteo sonde signals in the 403 MHz range. Turned it off for 70 cm
signals and on again for some HAB balloon signals. All well so far.

Then I moved the HackRF to the Ubuntu 14.04 box and tried it on gqrx. Only
the most strong signals where readable.

I started playing with the gain setitngs and noticed that the gain setting
at the top ( 0 - 14 dB) should have to be the preamp settings. I did read
in the faq that it would gain about 14 dB so I made the assumption that 0
was preamp off and 14 was preamp on.

After switching the gain to 0 dB I did receive more signals, but at 14 dB
only the strongest local signals appear. So it seemed to me the preamp was
not working anymore.

Tonight I re-connected the HackRF to the Windows laptop and started SDR
console. With the preamp off I do receive signals but with preamp on only
the very strong signals appear.

Is there anyone who can help me to get the preamp working again? I can not
receive weak signals anymore....

Thanks,

Ben - PE2BZ