[Hackrf-dev] known good laptop running Pentoo.

Rich S richnsanders at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 10:32:21 EST 2014

Pete,

SDR requires some decent computing power, nothing crazy, but not bottom
of the line.  I'd recommend at least an i5 core and 8 gig of Ram, 16
would be better but you can always upgrade later.  Video cards and SDR
are a moot point unless you're going to use something like gr-fosphor
requiring Cuda support.

Ubuntu 14 will do the job well, but it can be a bit bloated. Lubuntu is
less bloated, but it may require you to compile more packages.  The
trade off between bloat and installation issues may be a deciding factor
on which version to use.  I have not tried raw Debian, but it should do
the job well too.

Currently I'm running it well on an Asus G73S and an Alienware M14. The
Asus runs it without issue and handles gr-fosphor well too.  Of course
the Alienware runs my SDR without breaking a sweat.

SDR#
http://rtlsdr.org/softwarelinux

Ubuntu 14
http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/

Lubuntu 14
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/14.04/release/

My pybombs install guide is only a few months old, but since HackRF came
out, some major packages have been added/updated.  I probably need to
re-write it., but it will get you in the ballpark for setting everything up.

Rich