[Hackrf-dev] How does the hackrf generate the signals?

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at qlfiles.net
Tue Apr 7 09:42:43 EDT 2020

Hi, this page seems very helpful:

http://rfmw.em.keysight.com/wireless/helpfiles/89600b/webhelp/subsystems/wlan-ofdm/Content/ofdm_basicprinciplesoverview.htm

The basic idea is you can add as many sinusoid signals of different
frequencies into one signal as you want, before transmission. It looks
like in DSP applications, this is done with an inverse fast fourier
transform operation, where you start off with all the
frequency/amplitude information you want to send, and mathematically
transform that into a time domain signal. You add guard bands arounds
this "OFDM symbol" and transmit it.

Then on receive end you do the (non-inverse) FFT transform to get the
info back from the different frequencies.

So, really you are only generating one signal, but multiplexed with all
the subcarrier information.

--
Christopher Howard
p: +1 (907) 374-0257