[Hackrf-dev] [Help] Calibrating HackRF with DAB radio. Asking for recording

Andreas Hornig andreas.hornig at aerospaceresearch.net
Mon Jan 4 15:45:38 EST 2021

Hi HackRF people,

this is a small call to help.

During the corona lockdown in Germany and the holiday season, I had enough
time to code a small Python tool for calibrating the known RTLSDR dongles,
CalibrateSDR [0, MIT license]. For that I use the DAB+ digital radio
system[1].

So far, it works with 8bit IQ baseband data (das binary or wav from SDR#)
from rtlsdr and limesdr, and now I would like to check HackRF.
I would like to try to test it with a hackrf recording and add this feature
to CalibrateSDR, but for that I need some recordings of the signal, because
I do not have access to one.
So my call to help goes out to all of you with an HackRF, some free time
[30 minutes] to tune to the center-frequency of DAB+ in your area[2], check
with a programme (gqrx SDR#) you like if there is an active signal, and
then record it for me (in IQ baseband, a minute or so, 2.048 Msamples
samplerate, as 8bit wav-file or dat-binary-file).

This help would be really appreciated.
If this works, next step I would like to do is to directly implement python
binding for HackRF to scan and calibrate itself. :)

Please feel free to answer in this thread, or contact me directly.
Best regards, stay safe and make cool things!

Andreas

[0] https://github.com/aerospaceresearch/CalibrateSDR
[1] https://aerospaceresearch.net/?page_id=2111
[2] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-DAB-Frequenz (sorry, German)