[IPAC-List] foreign language as a minimum requirement for employment

Pluta, Paul ppluta at hr.lacounty.gov
Mon Jan 12 09:36:20 EST 2009

Desire is a wonderful thing. How did your school district determine
that fluency in a foreign language should be a 'minimum requirement' for
employment selection purposes? In essence, what job analysis
information was relied upon to make such a determination? Where was the
line drawn between 'nice to have' and 'minimum requirement' and what
were the determining factors? What foreign language did your school
district choose as a minimum requirement and why? Does the language
requirement result in adverse impact based on national origin? If so,
how did your district validate the foreign language minimum requirement?

Paul E. Pluta, MA, SPHR
Human Resources Analyst III
Los Angeles County Department of Human Resources
Workforce Planning, Test Research, & Appeals Division