[IPAC-List] Passing points, a different question

Dennis Doverspike dd1 at uakron.edu
Tue Jan 27 13:37:14 EST 2009

Joel,

Your clarification makes the situation more confusing. I could see why
incumbent Sergeants would take a new exam for Sergeant, as part of a
concurrent study or pilot. But why would they study for one? What motivation
could there be for current, experienced Sergeants to study for a test for a
job they already have? Are you paying them to take the exam?

Sticking with your original question, in that situation, you would say 100%
should pass the exam. As long as they are all competent and the criterion
for passing is minimal competence to be a sergeant, which might be a big
assumption. That is probably somewhat unrealistic, so you might adjust that
downward to 80-90% passing.

Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor of Psychology
Director, Center for Organizational Research
Senior Fellow of the Institute for Life-Span Development and Gerontology
Psychology Department
University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-4301
330-972-8372 (Office)