[IPAC-List] Job analysis ratings brain teaser

Blair, Michael D[EQ] Michael.D.Blair at Embarq.com
Wed Feb 11 09:52:52 EST 2009

Keith -

Given the scale anchors, I would use 2.5 as the cut-off for task/competency importance for potential inclusion in a selection measure. To define an essential task/competency in the ADA sense, I would use 3.0 on this scale. Why 2.5 for importance versus 3.0 for essential? I think the scale anchors drive this decision. Task importance - 2.5 is the midpoint between needed/impacts overall performance and must perform/negatively impacts performance. Essential - 3.0 defines why the job exists. If someone cannot perform the task, they cannot do the job (I'm assuming that a reasonable accommodation cannot be made). In order to define the domain for selection purposes, I have always used 2/3rds or 67% as the cut-off in terms of the number of incumbents who actually do the task.

Michael D. Blair
Manager, Recruitment, Selection & Assessment
EMBARQ
Voice: 913-345-6334 | Cell: 913-832-6130 | Fax: 913-345-6417
Email: Michael.D.Blair at embarq.com

This e-mail is the property of EMBARQ and may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.