[IPAC-List] Does the day you take an oral exam matter?

Dennis Doverspike dd1 at uakron.edu
Wed Apr 1 15:10:52 EDT 2009

Mark

I think it goes back to or comes down to a simple issue.

Although we regard public sector hiring in high stakes positions such as
police as being based on "merit," it is more of a competition. Because it is
a competition, people get upset when they think someone else has an unfair
advantage in that competition. 10,000 people may be competing for 10
positions and in such circumstances even a tenth of a point may make a huge
difference. In addition, our tendency to add bonus or additional points for
such factors as veteran's status or residency may effectively shut out even
those with perfect scores on our assessment device. That is not to say such
additional points are not warranted, but it does impact people in real ways
in public sector testing. So, even a small advantage may be huge, when there
are large numbers of applicants and very few positions.

Maybe it is a cultural factor, but if you think people get upset over
perceived unfairness in public sector testing, try going to a children's
baseball or soccer game (or for the Canadians, hockey). Watch some 12 year
old referee or umpire make a call that upsets the soccer moms and dads.

Finally, we should probably be happy when people so desire public sector
positions that they are willing to fight over points. It is certainly better
than the alternative of having no one interested in the jobs.

Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor of Psychology
Director, Center for Organizational Research
Senior Fellow of the Institute for Life-Span Development and Gerontology
Psychology Department
University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-4301
330-972-8372 (Office)
330-972-5174 (Office Fax)
ddoverspike at uakron.edu

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product for
the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege is
waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message in
error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the reader
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic transmission, immediately
delete it and all copies of it from your system and notify the sender.
E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete, or contain viruses.