[IPAC-List] Test Requirements within Job Progressions

Heim, Janis Janis.Heim at nebraska.gov
Tue Apr 7 15:05:31 EDT 2009

Kevin,

I would like to say it would depend on whether the job functions in question meet the standard of what the ADA called a "core duty," but I think that may just restate your problem another way. When the Lead Mechanic performs the functions with the higher level requirements, is it that there is no one else to do so, or that there will be significant harm if he or she does not do so? If so, then require the higher level. If it is just that sometimes the Lead Mechanic might be the one to do the functions when others could, but the Lead Mechanic needs to share the load or keep his or her hand in, I would not. More fairness or nice-to-have are not requirements. Necessary to do the work on time or up to standard or to maintain safety would be. My question would be how necessary is the "when necessary" and then I would make my decision based on that. Is that any help?

Janis Heim
402.471.4463
janis.heim at nebraska.gov
Personnel Selection Analyst