[IPAC-List] How significant is significant enough?

Winfred Arthur, Jr. w-arthur at neo.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 8 20:20:06 EDT 2009

. . . assuming that i am understanding you correctly, a couple of points:

1. if the .36 represents a criterion-related validity estimate, that it
is really not small in the context of what one generally sees in the
literature and practice. of course it is based on a relatively small
sample size and so it may be susceptible to some sampling error biases.

2. based on your description of the sample, it would seem you may have
range restriction issues as well and so the .36 is probably an
underestimate.

3. merely increasing the sample size is likely to increase, well,
really decrease the p-value but is unlikely to systematically increase
the point estimate (i.e., the correlation) if the additional cases are
drawn from the same "pool" as the present sample.

hope this is of some help.

- winfred