[IPAC-List] Probationary Hiring versus Testing

Dennis Doverspike dd1 at uakron.edu
Tue Apr 14 16:29:42 EDT 2009

Given our discussion of last week or the week before on probationary hiring
versus testing, I thought the list might be interested in this court ruling
out of Cleveland.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/04/judge_blasts_clevelands_hiring.html

In a scathing 15-page decision released Friday, Corrigan blasted Jackson and
former Mayors Jane Campbell and Michael R. White for ignoring civil service
testing requirements. The city, he wrote, also failed to comply with several
court orders stemming from a 15-year-old lawsuit.

Corrigan fined the city $900,750, appointed a special master to oversee
Cleveland's Civil Service Commission and ordered Jackson to stop hiring,
promoting and transferring employees.

"Abuse of the hiring system has opened the city, the administration and the
two prior administrations to allegations of cronyism, corruption and
political payback," Corrigan wrote.

Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor of Psychology
Director, Center for Organizational Research
Senior Fellow of the Institute for Life-Span Development and Gerontology
Psychology Department
University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-4301
330-972-8372 (Office)