[IPAC-List] Does time to staff REALLY matter, and if so, when?

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Tue May 19 15:09:17 EDT 2009

Some confusing grammatical lapses to be corrected:

"Perhaps this is a non-phenomenon, or perhaps it is simply a phenomenon restricted to a specific range of turnaround times, or perhaps to specific types of positions in specific labour/job markets. So, maybe there is a huge difference in likelihood of snagging the best hire for job X, when comparing an offer made at 3 wks post-application vs 3 days, but for job Y it simply doesn't matter because there is no shortage of suitably qualified people who are willing to wait as long as it takes.

In other words, the possibility that the faster-gets-you-more hypothesis might be true does not preclude what I'm seeing in our data, nor does what I'm seeing preclude the faster-gets-you-more hypothesis being true....sometimes. It really seems to be more of a case of identifying the context where faster provides advantage and where faster provides no advantage. This may be the sort of thing I will not be able to sort out with our data until we've acquired several cycles' worth of cases, and I have hundreds and hundreds of cases where people turned an offer, and enough cases for different categories of job to see where it matters."

Apologies for the double-post.

Mark