[IPAC-List] Does time to staff REALLY matter, and if so, when?

Dr. Dennis Doverspike dd1 at uakron.edu
Tue May 19 20:50:37 EDT 2009

Thanks Bryan & Mark

Some very interesting thoughts and arguments.

When I start thinking about this issue, I start to contrast two very
different approaches. The two approaches are the 1) corporate - we need
someone yesterday approach and the 2) academic - it takes us a year to fill
a position approach.

So, I thought I would reflect on the academic approach. The very people who
do writing and research on hr - somehow we now take more than a year to hire
someone and bring them into the organization. And sometimes even longer than
a year. Now I realize, that is partially because the offer and acceptance is
sometimes made 6 - 9 months ahead of time, but it sill often takes us a long
time between posting and offer. Why? I have no idea, which is why I guess I
am ruminating on this particular issue. Why does it take academics so long
to recruit and select faculty? Any ideas? Should it take so long?

Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP

Professor of Psychology

Director, Center for Organizational Research Senior Fellow of the Institute
for Life-Span Development and Gerontology Licensed Psychologist, #3539
(OHIO) Psychology Department University of Akron Akron, Ohio 44325-4301

330-972-8372 (Office)

330-972-5174 (Office Fax)

ddoverspike at uakron.edu