[IPAC-List] Wall Street journal article on SAT coaching courses

Dennis Doverspike dd1 at uakron.edu
Fri May 22 11:39:16 EDT 2009

I am a common sense kind of guy, who likes to nutshell. I believe you can
reduce the literature to the following:

Coaching does have an effect on test performance but not much different than
schooling itself, which of course could be seen as a type of ultimate test
coaching.

So if you want your child to do well on the SAT:

1. Have them pay attention and learn a lot in school.
2. Have them read a lot outside of school.
3. Have them write a lot outside of school.
4. Give them a good breakfast (guess I watch too many commercials).

Having said that, the problem I have with a lot of commercial coaching
programs is that they teach the student that doing well on a test is all
about tricks and learning the tricks. That is the worst message you can
give. Doing well on a test is all about studying hard, being prepared, and
putting in a lot of effort. It is not about learning tricks.

Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor of Psychology
Director, Center for Organizational Research
Senior Fellow of the Institute for Life-Span Development and Gerontology
Psychology Department
University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-4301
330-972-8372 (Office)
330-972-5174 (Office Fax)
ddoverspike at uakron.edu

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product for
the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege is
waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message in
error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the reader
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic transmission, immediately
delete it and all copies of it from your system and notify the sender.
E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete, or contain viruses.