[IPAC-List] Justification for internal expertise

GWEN SCHINDLER Gschindler at comp.state.md.us
Mon Jun 29 11:53:09 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

Seems like for the most part the pros for internal may be cons for the external.

Here's one more con for using an external consultant:

If the organization does not have the technical expertise to judge the consultant's work, there is no way for them to evaluate whether or not they are doing an adequate job.

Gwen Schindler, Personnel Analyst
Comptroller of Maryland
Office of Personnel Services
Louis L Goldstein Treasury Building
80 Calvert St., Room 211
Annapolis, MD 21404-0466
Phone: 410-260-6622
Fax: 410-974-5249

>>> "Reindl, Kevin" <KReindl at semprautilities.com> 6/12/2009 3:43 PM >>>

Michael did a good job listing pro's and con's, I fully agree with his
list. I would also add a couple more:

Pros of internal assessment expertise:
- better understanding of the specific business needs, political
environment, etc. within the company

Cons of internal assessment expertise:
- if there is no cost "charge back" to internal clients for services,
clients do not recognize the value of internal experts (seen as free
labor, thus, more requests for services with little ROI)...as an
internal consultant, my experience has been that clients expect/assume
that we should work on any/all projects that they request, even when
there is little ROI to the company

Kevin Reindl
San Diego Gas & Electric

"This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged
and/or confidential. Receipt by an unintended recipient does not
constitute a waiver of any applicable privilege. Reading, disclosure,
discussion, dissemination, distribution or copying of this information
by anyone other than the intended recipient or his or her employees or
agents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender."