[IPAC-List] Ricci v DeStefano

Eric Palmer epalmer613 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 15:20:32 EDT 2009

We should also bear in mind that the adverse impact we keep hearing about in the Ricci case is itself just the adverse impact of one moment in the life cycle of that particilar administration of the exam.  It's is only the adverse impact of the first round of hiring off that list.  We know from court records that many minority candidates not only passed the exam, but were ranked high on the certified list (just not high enough for the first round of promotions because New Haven has a rule of three).  A typical certified list like that continues in use for 12-18 months.  It was expected that minority candidates would be promoted beginning with the second round of promotions.  I'd be interested in seeing what the adverse impact of the exam was (or would have been) after multiple rounds of hiring deeper into the certified list over a 12-18 month period.  That's the life cycle of the list and the exam, and it seems to me the most accurate measure
of its adverse impact comes at that point.

Eric Palmer
City of Fort Worth