[IPAC-List] Ricci v DeStefano

Crenshaw, Jeffrey crenshawj at PBJCAL.ORG
Thu Jul 2 17:23:19 EDT 2009

I would agree with RPClare that a lawsuit will be looming as they
certify their list. As such, I am wondering what impact this ruling
would have on any lawsuit (if it comes) regarding certifying that list
and other related Title VII disparate impact cases. Two questions in
particular come to mind:

1. What is the impact, if any, of this ruling on demonstrating the
job-relatedness of test weights in traditional disparate impact cases?
2. What is the impact, if any, of this ruling on consideration of
equally valid alternative selection measures?

The court opinion appears to indicate (but not explicitly so) that the
selection procedure administered by New Haven would withstand a legal
challenge despite the issues identified by the respondents. In a
traditional disparate impact case, once AI is established the city would
have to demonstrate that the selection procedure is job-related. The
selection procedure not only includes the tests used, but also the
manner in which the tests are combined (or weighted) to form a composite
score. With regard to weights in this case, the Court stated:
" respondents have produced no evidence to show that the 60/40 weighting
was indeed arbitrary. In fact, because that formula was the result of a
union-negotiated collective-bargaining agreement, we presume the parties
negotiated that weighting for a rational reason."

Given that this case was the reverse of most Title VII cases, the burden
of proof was not on the City to demonstrate job-relatedness...in fact
doing so would that would have potentially undermined their argument;
however, the Court seems to easily discount that potential concern
regarding the defense of the test and appears to indicate that a
"rational" reason for the weights would suffice (i.e., instead of
demonstrating that the weighting was either job-related or more valid
than alternative weighting methods). Thus, could this ruling be used to
lower the bar in defining "job-relatedness" in a traditional disparate
impact case? What if, in this case, traditional methods of using job
analysis data to calculate test weights would lead to substantially
different weights (e.g., 30% WT, 70% SI) than what was bargained with
the union? By all accounts, one would expect (even before
administration) that the job analysis weights in that example would
reduce AI (compared to 60% WT, 40% SI). As a result of the Ricci ruling
would New Haven have the luxury of countering any such arguments in
disparate impact litigation by saying that they collectively bargained
the weights for a "rational" reason?

The same type of questions could apply to the alternative testing
methods argument (e.g., assessment center). I won't belabor the issue
by listing all of those questions and scenarios, but I am interested in
any opinions on the impact of this ruling on any potential disparate
impact case that could result from certifying the test.