[IPAC-List] Ricci v DeStefano

Bryan Baldwin Bryan.Baldwin at doj.ca.gov
Thu Jul 2 17:31:04 EDT 2009

re: 4/5ths and rule of 1: interestingly on the Captain exam the rule of one would nearly eliminate the adverse impact against Black candidates (another +1 and it'd be gone). Ditto if we added 3 passing Black candidates to the Lieutenant exam. We're not dealing with big numbers here, which makes it all the more surprising that the majority court stated "The racial adverse impact here was significant".

To a large extent this really isn't about the pass point. Hispanics actually were tied with Black candidates for the lowest pass rate on the Captain, and had the lowest pass rate on the Lieutenant exam. As others have noted, it really was more the rule of 3 that had the biggest impact; it excluded any black candidates from consideration.

I can't help but think that one of the things this decision does is remind us that the Supreme Court is not SIOP. What our profession may find to be heavily flawed, they see as reasonable. If the City is sued for adverse impact, it'll be interesting to read what the experts have to say.

Bryan Baldwin
Staff Services Manager II
California Department of Justice
Division of Administrative Support
Personnel Programs
(916) 322-5446

>>> Eric Palmer <epalmer613 at yahoo.com> 7/2/2009 1:54 PM >>>

Jeffrey and Paul both make good points. To Jeffrey's point: underrepresentation is underrepresentation, and needs to be addressed, but most jurisdictions would give their eye-teeth to have representation as close to the general population as New Haven has at entry-level fire fighter (30:40 and 16:20). At the officer rank, there is obviously a much greater disparity.

This segways to Paul's point: given that's where the major disparity lies, New haven needs to take a thoughtful strategic approach to develping appropriate recruitment and selection plans to address it, particularly (since the City says this is what it wants) selection tools that are as valid as the disputed test in the Ricci case, but with less adverse impact. A well designed assessment center might achieve that. The danger with assessment centers is when the various components become little more than "FYI's" to the selection committee instead of being weighted items. Unfortunately assessment centers of that sort are sometimes used as a means of masking subjective selection.

On Paul's point about strict application of the 4/5th rule: I couldn't agree more. I assume people in this group are all familiar with the "rule of 1" (i.e. if passing or failing one additional member of a particular group would remove the adverse impact, then there is no statistically significant adverse impact). I've administered numerous exams where the rule of 1 applied; in fact I can remember several times, testing for highly technical positions, where the rule of 1 was the only reason we didn't have adverse impact against whites.

Eric