[IPAC-List] Cert rule

Pluta, Paul ppluta at hr.lacounty.gov
Mon Jul 27 10:12:26 EDT 2009

Dennis,

I don't believe I indicated that the City of New Haven decision says anything about top-down versus banding per se. I simply noted that those two cases (i.e., New York and New Haven) both used top-down selection (i.e., rule of three or rule of five, etc.) and both had a disparate impact on minorities. There is a huge literature to support the fact that a test of cognitive abilities will almost assuredly result in adverse impact for blacks and Hispanics.

"Had the City reviewed the exam results and then [emphasis added] adopted banding to make the minority test scores appear higher, it would have violated Title VII's prohibition of adjusting test results on the basis of race." This statement appears to pertain to post hoc banding to achieve some race-based objective. Our banding process is routine and has nothing to do with race per se. We simply acknowledge measurement error and feel it is best in high stakes testing to error on the side of the individual.

The real bottom-line is, if you don't want adverse impact, don't use a written test of cognitive abilities (especially not as a first hurdle in a multiple-hurdle process). If you must use a test of cognitive abilities because that is what the job analysis study results indicate is important for the performance of the work, be sure that gets thoroughly documented. Based on the New York case, that goes double for documenting the linkages between the KSAs and the tasks performed on the job. At least then you can defend the job-relatedness and business necessity of the test. IMHO

Paul E. Pluta, ABD, SPHR

Human Resources Analyst III

Los Angeles County Department of Human Resources

Workforce Planning, Test Research, & Appeals Division