[IPAC-List] Ricci Update Prompts a Question

MartinWAnderson MWAndersonPhD at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 20:44:20 EST 2009

The New Haven Register is the place to go for the ground level civil
service actions that are taking place. Martin W. Anderson, Ph.D.

Black firefighters try to halt promotions
<http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/12/08/news/a3-blackfirefighters.txt>
NEW HAVEN Attorneys for a group of black city firefighters Monday filed
a motion asking a federal court to halt the promotion of 10 other
firefighters (including four minorities) who scored well enough on 2003
exams to be promoted. The 10 firefight...
5.8K - Dec. 8, 2009; scored 277.0

10 more firefighters receive promotions
<http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/12/05/news/a3-nefirepromotions_art.txt>
NEW HAVEN It had been a decade since the city, blocked by protracted and
racially charged litigation, promoted any officers in the Fire
Department. Now, the city has promoted 24 in the last 72 hours as it
navigates through the post-Ricci legal land...
4.1K - Dec. 5, 2009; scored 239.0

Firefighter promotions on front burner: City intends to present names
today
<http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/12/01/news/new_haven/a1-nefirefighters.txt>
NEW HAVEN After a five-year legal fight, it took little more than five
minutes Monday evening for one Hispanic and 13 white city firefighters
to take a step closer to the promotions that a divided U.S. Supreme
Court concluded they were unlawfully d...
5.6K - Dec. 1, 2009; scored 119.0

City board OKs New Haven Fire Department promotions list
<http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/11/30/news/doc4b145f2cac5c8759782229.txt>
NEW HAVEN After a five-year legal fight, one Hispanic and 13 white
firefighters tonight took one step closer to the promotions that a
divided U.S. Supreme Court concluded they were unlawfully denied. In an
unanimous vote, under order from a U.S. Di...
1.7K - Nov. 30, 2009; scored 119.0

Questions remain on promotions
<http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/11/27/news/new_haven/a1-nericci.txt>
NEW HAVEN Fire Lt. Jack Ryan says he studied hard for his 2003
promotional exam, and, based on unofficial results, scored high enough
to earn a captain s badge. But as his 14 colleagues who won
court-ordered promotions celebrate imminent upward mov...
5.2K - Nov. 27, 2009; scored 119.0

Promotions ordered for New Haven firefighters (with documents)
<http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/11/25/news/new_haven/a1_--_riccidecision_1125.txt>
NEW HAVEN A U.S. District Court judge, under instruction by the Supreme
Court, Tuesday entered a judgment finding that the city violated the
civil rights of a group of white firefighters when it threw out two
promotional exams in 2004, and ordered ...
8.7K - Nov. 25, 2009; scored 310.0

Judge orders New Haven to promote firefighters
<http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/11/24/news/new_haven/doc4b0c7f632b093927209424.txt>
NEW HAVEN A U.S. District Court judge, under instruction by the Supreme
Court decision, today issued an judgement finding the city violated the
civil rights of a group of white firefighters when it threw out two
promotional exams in 2004, and orde...
3.3K - Nov. 24, 2009; scored 189.0

7 firefighters seek to halt promotions
<http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/11/18/news/new_haven/doc4b04260a9185e372324256.txt>
NEW HAVEN -- Even as the city prepares to promote from two 2003 Fire
Department exams that became the focus of a controversial U.S. Supreme
Court case, a group of black city firefighters has stepped in to say,
not so fast. Seven African-American fire...
5.1K - Nov. 18, 2009; scored 239.0

City facing more firefighter suits (with document)
<http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/11/13/news/a3-newhaven.txt>
NEW HAVEN Five months after a divided U.S. Supreme Court decision, a
discrimination lawsuit by 20 white city firefighters is back in the
local court where it began. But even as lawyers discuss the framework
for implementing the high court ruling in...
6.2K - Nov. 13, 2009; scored 336.0