[IPAC-List] Interpretation of internal consistency reliabilitycoefficients

Dennis Doverspike dd1 at uakron.edu
Wed Feb 3 12:16:39 EST 2010

Abstract. You have here the classic conflict in any type of test of
multidimensional domains or a test based on a criterion oriented strategy.
However, at the same time you want to calculate a total score. Bottom line,
it is impossible to say that a .3, .6 or .9 would be preferable without
knowing your exact purpose and the likely correlations between those
domains. A .3 could be very good in some situations. Although then a critic
might argue - why calculate a total score? Why not calculate a score for
each dimension separately?

More detail

First, internal consistency reliability is based on one particular theory of
reliability (or several theories of reliability really) coming from a
particular view of tests, which sees the best tests as measuring a
unidimensional latent trait.

The general theory of situational judgment tests (see especially Mike
McDaniel's work) is not compatible with classic notions of internal
consistency. In other words, internal consistency is not an appropriate
index for situational judgment tests.

Having said that, playing devil's advocate of my own position, it could be
argued that situational judgment tests still arrive at a single total score,
which suggests that there is a single something being measured.

On your point 2, you could have high test retest reliability with low
internal consistency. It is possible, but again would depend on your measure
and your theory. Technically, under some reliability theories, test retest
is not an acceptable type of reliability at all -- since by definition there
is no random sampling of items (we can retain the fiction as long as we do
not blatantly violate it).

Bottom line then - a .3 internal consistency might be very appropriate and
in fact good for a situational judgment test, especially depending upon its
theory of construction. Remember, in developing a test based on a pure
criterion oriented approach, such as might be seen with classical BIBs or
even situational judgment tests, we would want a correlation between each
additional item of 0, since that results in the greatest Multiple R. Thus,
in that case, lower internal consistencies are better and a high internal
consistency would be bad.

So you have competing ideas here. You are calculating I would guess a total
score, but you are calculating a total score based on adding together
measures of independent constructs. So a .3 might be good, a .6 might be
good, a .9 might be good, depends on what you are trying to achieve and what
the correlation really is between those independent constructs.

One could go into a lot more detail and argument on these concepts, but that
is for a different forum.

Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor of Psychology
Director, Center for Organizational Research
Senior Fellow of the Institute for Life-Span Development and Gerontology
Psychology Department
University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-4301
330-972-8372 (Office)
330-972-5174 (Office Fax)
ddoverspike at uakron.edu

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product for
the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege is
waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message in
error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the reader
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic transmission, immediately
delete it and all copies of it from your system and notify the sender.
E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete, or contain viruses.