[IPAC-List] Interpretation of internal consistency reliability coefficients -- Not trying to beat a dead horse...

Shekerjian, Rene Rene.Shekerjian at cs.state.ny.us
Thu Apr 8 11:07:23 EDT 2010

As I considered everyone's input to this question, I was left with this concern: domain sampling.

If my test or subtest is supposed to address a given area and the items do not correlate with one another (yielding a low alpha or kr-20), then it seems that I have tapped many domains, perhaps as many as I have items.

And, in the extreme case, if I have only one or two items per domain, how do I have adequate coverage of each of the domains?

If I have only one or two items per domain, then the area of each of the domains I happen to tap on any given holding of the test will be the biggest factor in candidates' scores. If the content area covered varies from holding to holding, then repeat candidates will get different scores depending on which area of the many domains I tapped with each item.

For example, I might have a subtest that I think is covering a single knowledge but really covers many, say physics, geometry, art history, social psychology, etc. If there are only one or two items for each of these diverse areas of knowledge, then none is being reliably measured, and candidates' scores will depend on the match between candidates' knowledge of each area and the particular questions I end up asking in each one. If I constructed many of these tests, I would expect candidates' scores to vary significantly from one test to another.

In this case, it seems that not only would I have poor reliability, but I would have poor validity as well.

Now I suppose I could create parallel forms by selecting for each form one or two items that address the same little piece of each domain, but then the domain description wouldn't really be accurate. For example, instead of having some geometry questions, I would have two questions on the Pythagorean theorem.

I know this isn't extremely precise, but I am hoping I have been precise enough to reasonably convey the idea that a collection of uncorrelated questions may be tapping unrelated KSAs, which then would result in too few questions per KSA for there to be reliable measurement.

If my thinking has gone astray here, I would appreciate a correction.

I thank everyone again for their comments to date.

René

René Shekerjian | Testing Services Division | NYS Department of Civil Service | 518-474-3778