[IPAC-List] Guessing on the SAT/ACT

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Mon May 3 11:04:01 EDT 2010

Again, I hasten to add that there may be certain assumptions about the nature of the test underlying the appropriate use of such corrections/adjustments. (where "appropriate" means correcting for guessing with no other untoward impact on test-scores)

Most scholastic tests are speed tests that end up using deviation scores. A great many employment tests are not converted to deviation scores, but are used in raw form. Is the impact of corrections likely to be different under each circumstance, hence contra-indicated under one of them?

Here I defer to my colleagues whose statistical/psychometric knives are in a sharper state than my own.

Mark Hammer