[IPAC-List] Guessing on the SAT/ACT

Oscar Spurlin oscar at ergometrics.org
Wed May 5 17:06:42 EDT 2010

Another angle on the guessing issue is the constructs being measured. If
you are measuring math or have questions where there is only one possible
answer with no shades of gray, then it is reasonable to conclude that
guessing is a compensation for actually ability or knowledge, and a penalty
might compensate. However with so many employment or promotional tests we
are asking questions about human relations or situational judgment in which
there are definite shades of gray in responses. Having subjects skip
questions almost always would mean losing meaningful variance with an
expected impact on reliability and validity.

Oscar Spurlin
Ergometrics