[IPAC-List] Job Qualifications

Bryan Baldwin Bryan.Baldwin at doj.ca.gov
Wed May 12 09:31:59 EDT 2010

Not to sound overly cynical, but why does it seem like when organizations use a valid selection method (e.g, behavioral consistency T&Es) but implement it poorly (e.g., using said instrument for thousands of applicants), the solution is to replace it with something much less valid (e.g., resumes/applications, point-based T&Es)? Or is this just one more example of the rush to make the selection process as fast as possible, regardless of the impact on utility (supported by their suggested, highly suspect, metric of time-to-fill)?

On a related point, how exactly do they intend to get managers and supervisors "more fully involved in the hiring process, including planning current and future workforce requirements, identifying the skills required for the job, and engaging actively in the recruitment and, when applicable, the interviewing process"? I mean more power to them, but I gotta think this is something many of have been struggling with for years.

Kudos for trying to modernize the federal hiring system, but I wonder if there is an appreciation for the enormity of what is being suggested and the resources it will require.

End rant.

Bryan Baldwin
Staff Services Manager II
California Department of Justice