[IPAC-List] Measuring Fear of Heights

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Fri Jun 25 15:22:02 EDT 2010

We get the damndest questions here, don't we?

Do you want *fear*, specifically, or simply capacity to function at heights, whether its fear or some other factor impairing functional capacity?

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

>>> "Reindl, Kevin" <KReindl at semprautilities.com> 2010/06/25 3:19 PM >>>

I thought this might be a good question to pose to the IPAC list, since I'm sure many of the firefighter selection experts out there have encountered this...

Does anyone do any type of assessment/test that measures someone's fear of heights? We have been grappling with this for a while. We have some positions at a few of our companies that require employees to climb externally mounted stairs to the top of storage tanks (up to 200 feet). We've considered a pre-employment assessment where we simply ask candidates to actually perform this task. However, the concern for safety has always been a barrier.

Any thoughts/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Reindl
Sr. People Research Advisor
San Diego Gas & Electric
Human Resources
8306 Century Park Court, CP41A
San Diego, CA 92123-1530
Tel: 858-654-1823
Fax: 858-654-1515
Email: kreindl at semprautilities.com<mailto:kreindl at semprautilities.com>

"This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential. Receipt by an unintended recipient does not constitute a waiver of any applicable privilege. Reading, disclosure, discussion, dissemination, distribution or copying of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient or his or her employees or agents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender."

IPAC-List at ipacweb.org

This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) and
may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized
disclosure, copying or re-transmission is prohibited. If you are not
a named recipient or not authorized by the named recipient(s), or
if you have received this e-mail in error, then please notify the
sender immediately and delete the message and any copies.

Ce courriel est destine exclusivement au destinataire mentionne
en titre et peut contenir de l'information privilegiee, confidentielle
ou soustraite a la communication aux termes des lois
applicables. Toute divulgation non autorisee, toute reproduction
ou reacheminement est interdit. Si vous n'etes pas le
destinataire de ce courriel, ou n'etes pas autorise par le
destinataire vise, ou encore, si vous l'avez recu par erreur,
veuillez le mentionner immediatement a l'expediteur et supprimer
le courriel et les copies.