[IPAC-List] Complying With ADA and OSHA on Performance Tests

Shelley Spilberg Shelley.Spilberg at post.ca.gov
Wed Aug 4 12:01:12 EDT 2010

Warren -

First of all, since wearing a respirator is necessary to perform an
essential job function, it would be fair to describe that function to
candidates (along with the other essential functions) and ask them if
they can perform those functions with or without reasonable
accommodation. You can certainly share with them the OSHA medical exam
requirements as well.

As for medical clearance before pre-offer testing, I think it's legal to
ask candidates to take the information about the parameters of the
performance test - including the use of a respirator - to their M.D. for
a clearance regarding their ability to safely perform the test.
However, I think the doctor should limit the focus of the evaluation -
and his report back to the employer - to the candidate's ability to take
the test (with or without reasonable accommodation), NOT the job
function itself. To do otherwise could easily be seen as an unlawful
pre-offer medical exam.

Given our experience working with OSHA on respirator issues (see our
Model Respiratory Policy -
http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/respiratory-program2.pdf) - I
suggest you try not to rattle their cage.

Shelley

Shelley Weiss Spilberg, Ph.D.

CA. Commission on Peace Officer Stnds. & Trng.

1601 Alhambra Boulevard

Sacramento, CA. 95816-7083

(916) 227-4824