[IPAC-List] The lights finally go on

Jeff Feuquay jfeuquay at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 16:06:33 EDT 2010

Mark, your posts are enjoyably insightful and provocative . . . and yet
again you've inspired me to pontificate:

There seems to be little argument that effort should be made to find and
place the best available person for a job in the job. I think that's a
rather substantial portion of what we aspire to. It's that word "best"
that's the sticking point . . . maybe. Seems to me in this era of burgeoning
strategic HR (I was surprised to find that it even was HR when not
strategic, but that's another discussion.) Anyway, seems to me that "best"
is *easily *defined by determining the qualifications, characteristics, etc.
which increase the likelihood that an individual will contribute to the
organization achieving its mission(s). So, e.g., does the race/ethnicity of
a personnel analyst at a department of transportation have any effect on the
department's success in building and maintaining roads? Well, maybe. That
is, I can argue that monochromatic staffing could indeed have a chilling
effect on the applicant pool, causing certain applicants not to apply
because they know or at least believe they wouldn't fit in. Over time, a lot
of "best" applicants could be lost.

For that matter, do grades obtained in civil engineering courses have any
effect on an individual's bestness at a DoT? Again, only maybe, but one
would hope so.

Mostly where I end up is that we predict so little of the variance in job
performance, I'm all for piling on as many predictors as we can come up with
that incrementally improve big R, so long as they aren't illegal or just
tasteless when applied. I think the inverse is equally true and probably
more important in minimizing perturbation, i.e., if we'd stop collecting
non-predictive info, we'd save everybody a lot of time and avoid a lot of
skepticism and distrust.

If we were to discuss the definition of "best" with our constituents and
stakeholders (in Mark's original post, managers and candidates), and reach
some level of agreement, seems we'd be closer to helping an
organization achieve its mission. And, that means we'll have earned a
seat in the C Suite, strategic HR nirvana. Yeehah!

Jeff
Dr. Jeffrey P Feuquay, I/O Psychologist & Attorney
Managing Consultant, Psychology-Law Center, LLC
108 W. Walnut, Nevada, Mo 64772
ofc: 417-667-5076 cell: 417-549-0997