[IPAC-List] The lights finally go on

Aguinis, Herman haguinis at indiana.edu
Mon Aug 16 19:46:16 EDT 2010

Mark,

The issue you mentioned in your posting about considering performance within a specific context was discussed in detail in the following article (available online at http://mypage.iu.edu/~haguinis --click on the "refereed journal articles" link):

Cascio, W. F, & Aguinis, H. (2008). Staffing twenty-first-century organizations. Academy of Management Annals, 2, 133-165.

Specifically, this article defines in situ performance as "the specification of the broad range of effects-situational, contextual, strategic, and environmental-that may affect individual, team, or organizational performance" (p. 146). The article's Abstract is below. Let me know if you think this article is addressing the phenomenon you described in your posting.

All the best,

--Herman.

Herman Aguinis, Ph.D.

Dean's Research Professor and

Professor of Organizational Behavior and Human Resources

Director, Institute for Global Organizational Effectiveness

Department of Management and Entrepreneurship

Kelley School of Business, Indiana University

http://mypage.iu.edu/~haguinis/

Abstract

We highlight important differences between 21st-century organizations as compared to those of the previous century, and offer a critical review of the basic principles, typical applications, general effectiveness, and limitations of the current staffing model. That model focuses on identifying and measuring job-related individual characteristics to predict individual-level job performance. We conclude that the current staffing model has reached a ceiling or plateau in terms of its ability to make accurate predictions about future performance. Evidence accumulated over more than 80 years of staffing research suggests that general mental abilities and other traditional staffing tools do a modest job of predicting performance across settings and jobs considering that, even when combined and corrected for methodological and statistical artifacts, they rarely predict more than 50% of the variance in performance. Accordingly, we argue for a change in direction in staffing research and propose an expanded view of the staffing process, including the introduction of a new construct, in situ performance, and an expanded view of staffing tools to be used to predict future in situ performance that take into account time and context. Our critical review offers a novel perspective and research agenda with the goal of guiding future research that will result in more useful, applicable, relevant, and effective knowledge for practitioners to use in organizational settings.