[IPAC-List] Divergent views of validation

Pluta, Paul ppluta at hr.lacounty.gov
Wed Sep 1 11:07:07 EDT 2010

In the real world, truth evolves. Today's truth is tomorrow's fallacy.
Borsboom contends that validity is a property of a test. Let us say,
for the sake of argument, that a test does measure what it purports to
measure (i.e., there is evidence to support the construct validity of
the test). Let us further assume that the test measures "mathematical
ability". Now, let's assume that we use the scores of examinees on this
test to predict who will be more or less likely to exhibit violent
behaviors in social contexts. Can we state that the validity of
inferences made on the basis of test scores is valid because the test is
valid? This is why we also look at something we call criterion-related
validity evidence. The validity of the inferences we make from test
scores is just as important as the construct validity of the test
itself. Tests do not possess validity in a vacuum.

Paul E. Pluta, ABD, SPHR
Human Resources Analyst
Los Angeles County Department of Human Resources
Talent Management Division