[IPAC-List] Identifying Job-Related Personality Characteristics

Winfred Arthur, Jr. w-arthur at neo.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 22 15:45:10 EDT 2010

. . . and if you are interested in some lazy friday afternoon reading

:) here is a related article but at a much broader level, on "cognitive

competence" at the national level by Rindermann and Ceci (2009). it is
in Perspectives on Psychological Science, 4, 551-577.

the abstract reads as follows:
+++++++++
ABSTRACT—Prior studies of students’ and adults’ cognitive competence
have shown large differences between nations, equivalent to a difference
of 5 to 10 years of schooling. These differences seem to be relevant
because studies using different research paradigms have demonstrated
that population-level cognitive abilities are related to a number of
important societal outcomes, including productivity, democratization,
and health. In this overview of transnational differences, we document a
number of positive predictors of international differences in student
competence, including the amount of preschool education, student
discipline, quantity of education, attendance at additional schools,
early tracking, the use of centralized exams and high-stakes tests, and
adult educational attainment. We found rather negative relationships for
grade retention rates, age of school onset, and class size. Altogether,
these results, when combined with the outcomes of earlier studies,
demonstrate that international differences in cognitive competence can
be explained in part by aspects of the respective countries’ educational
systems and that these differences consequently can be reduced by reform
of their educational policy. This has important implications not just
for closing gaps in educational achievement, but for narrowing
international gaps in wealth, health, and democracy.
+++++++++

- winfred