[IPAC-List] Consistency

keith.poole at phoenix.gov keith.poole at phoenix.gov
Thu Jan 13 13:51:09 EST 2011

One thing we do is mention in the job posting both the minimum quals
(applies to all depts/branches), but also state that the specific duties
and preferred quals may vary by department. In many cases, we list the
preferred quals in the posting ("In Streets dept, CDL drivers are
preferred..." "In Human Services, grant writing exp is pref...".). This
requires communication with all those various branches to get the
preferred quals boiled down to something that makes sense to the reader,
and can slow down the process of getting the posting open, but does help
manage expectations. Not sure how easy this would be for an agency your
size though.

Keith Poole
Human Resources Supervisor
City of Phoenix Human Resources Dept
Employment Services
(602) 262-7140
keith.poole at phoenix.gov

"Phoenix - 2009 All-America City"

"Mark Hammer" <Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca>
Sent by: ipac-list-bounces at ipacweb.org
01/13/2011 10:20 AM

<IPAC-List at ipacweb.org>
cc

Subject
[IPAC-List] Consistency

I'm plowing my way through 9,530 comments to our annual survey of
candidates (I'm pondering requesting danger pay). Happily, some of the
comments are delightfully succinct praise for the survey itself.

But sadly, these are not the majority.....

A number of the comments that surface pertain to sluggishness of
process, and many are likely unique to our legal context, but one of the
comment categories that comes up regularly enough concerns perceived
inconsistencies in the required qualifications across departments and
agencies, or within a large agency with many distributed branches, for
jobs that are seemingly identically classified. That is, the respondent
says "I applied to an ad for this same job classification HERE and they
only wanted XX and YY, whereas applying for it THERE required much
higher levels of those things, or even more things". Those things might
be number of years of experience with something, perhaps more education
in a given area, a higher score on the same or more tests, and so on.

I understand that agencies can often compete with each other for a
limited talent pool by means of "classification creep" and giving a
higher classification to a job as a means of providing higher
compensation levels (since they cannot just simply offer a higher salary
unless the classification justifies it). But that is obviously not a
sustainable recruitment strategy.

I know we have, and you probably have, "classification standards", but
that does not mean they are rigorously applied and adhered to, or
**perceived** as having been adhered to. So I'm curious. How do you
folks out there address consistency of classification and its impact or
ripple effects on assessment tools and criteria, min quals, and such?
What sorts of pan-organizational controls, communication strategies, or
corrective mechanisms do you put in place? Do you keep track centrally
of what selection criteria are applied, or impose them centrally to
assure consistency? Or do people in your particular jurisdiction and
line of work just accept it as a fact of life that the same sort of job
will be classified, assessed, and selected for differently in this place
and that place?

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or
re-transmission is prohibited. If you are not a named recipient or not
authorized by the named recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, then please notify the sender immediately and delete
the message and any copies.

Ce courriel est destiné exclusivement au destinataire mentionné en titre
et peut contenir de l'information privilégiée, confidentielle ou
soustraite à la communication aux termes des lois applicables. Toute
divulgation non autorisée, toute reproduction ou réacheminement est
interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce courriel, ou n'êtes
pas autorisé par le destinataire visé, ou encore, si vous l'avez reçu
par erreur, veuillez le mentionner immédiatement à l'expéditeur et
supprimer le courriel et les copies.

IPAC-List at ipacweb.org