[IPAC-List] Computer assisted testing

Wilkening, Kurt WilkeningK at HillsboroughCounty.ORG
Wed Feb 9 10:26:48 EST 2011

I'm interested in learning what other jurisdictions are doing in this area as well. Not only in terms of software, but the space and hardware(furniture) requirements needed to turn a basic card tables/fold up chairs/scantron forms/paper and pencil type operation into a dual purpose testing/training type facility. For example, http://www.versatables.com/pages/products/school/revolution-desk-72.php#
(no affiliation or previous purchase, just an example).

So I'd be very grateful as well if someone from the previous mentioned jurisdictions, and others not listed who've implemented computer-based proctored testing could forward to the listserv (or Keith) any information they have on software and hardware setup.

Regards,

Kurt Wilkening, Division Chief
Recruiting, Testing, and Certification
Hillsborough County Civil Service Board
601 E. Kennedy Blvd., 17th Floor
Tampa, Florida 33602
(813) 274-6764 (Direct)

-----Original Message-----
From: ipac-list-bounces at ipacweb.org [mailto:ipac-list-bounces at ipacweb.org] On Behalf Of keith.poole at phoenix.gov
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 4:11 PM
To: IPAC-List at ipacweb.org
Subject: [IPAC-List] Computer assisted testing

One item on our division to-do list this year is to "develop
recommendations regarding the use of computer assisted testing." Basically
we understand this to mean any technology as an alternative to using paper
and pencils when conducting multiple choice tests (e.g., anything from
off-the-shelf software loaded onto individual PCs or network running
in-house developed tests, to using online tests from vendors, proctored or
unproctored, etc.).

I have seen the slides from last years IPAC conference (CPS did a couple
on this topic) and those were helpful, I've also signed up for their
webinar next week. We're also familiar with National Testing Network.

I would appreciate hearing from agencies that have researched or adopted
computer assisted testing in one form or another. Thanks.

Keith Poole
Human Resources Supervisor
City of Phoenix Human Resources Dept
Employment Services