[IPAC-List] When does a test become a test...

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Thu Feb 17 14:15:16 EST 2011

I think there are several levels to respond to this on.

"Validation" implies being defensible. But of course, we want tools,
no matter how simple they are (like a half dozen interview questions) to
not only hold up in court or under appeal, but to actually do a **good
job** for the client, and end up placing people in jobs they are
well-suited for and can love.

So, I concur with Dennis. If the client wants a good outcome, they are
best off running *everything* by someone who understands tools. That
review could be as simple as 30 minutes to address what sort of problems
one might conceivably run into with those questions or that tool, and
what to keep an eye out for. Managers may like to THINK of some tools
as being like "chicken soup" (i.e., it couldn't hurt), but that doesn't
mean their judgment about such matters is spot on. And of course,
managers always want something that offers simplicity of application,
and can be blinded by that. But that might not get them exactly what
they want and need. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have someone
who is easy to work with but a pain in the ass to land, than someone who
was easy to land but a pain in the ass to work with.

I get to read thousands of survey comments from candidates about the
testing and interviews they have gone through, and it ain't pretty, even
when the manager thinks "What could go wrong?". As for "red tape", what
I'm suggesting is not that much different than checking the weather
channel before you head off for the day, and figuring out whether to
bring a hat or a jacket. You can pitch it to your managers like that,
or you can also find a couple of high-profile cases that involved
something where the manager figured "What could go wrong?", and show
them what DID go wrong.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or
re-transmission is prohibited. If you are not a named recipient or not
authorized by the named recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, then please notify the sender immediately and delete
the message and any copies.

Ce courriel est destiné exclusivement au destinataire mentionné en titre
et peut contenir de l'information privilégiée, confidentielle ou
soustraite à la communication aux termes des lois applicables. Toute
divulgation non autorisée, toute reproduction ou réacheminement est
interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce courriel, ou n'êtes
pas autorisé par le destinataire visé, ou encore, si vous l'avez reçu
par erreur, veuillez le mentionner immédiatement à l'expéditeur et
supprimer le courriel et les copies.