[IPAC-List] How leery should I be?

GAST, ILENE F ilene.gast at dhs.gov
Fri Feb 18 10:24:17 EST 2011

Kevin is raising a number of really interesting issues.

First and foremost, we always have to be concerned with "validity," regardless of what we measure. However, in this situation content related validity evidence is most critical.

In this situation, maybe a "test" is not the logical first step.
The manager's analysis ---

"He *SAYS* the test is only to assess current skill, and if all field technicians have superb skill, then he will be less inclined to push for a "lead" position"

---suggests that skills gap analysis might be what's needed here. The job analysis that would precede the skills gap study would provide content validity evidence for any subsequent assessment efforts.

A lot of the performance management systems I've seen are way too general (and have to be to generalize across jobs) to give this manager the information he needs. Also, shifting the focus from "TESTING" to "employee development" might help with the morale issue.

Ilene

Ilene Gast
Personnel Research & Assessment Division
U.S Customs & Border Protection