[IPAC-List] SME issue

Klus, Thomas M. Thomas.Klus at fairfaxcounty.gov
Fri Jun 24 08:21:13 EDT 2011

I have an issue that I hope to get some input on from other
practitioners. To assist in exercise development, pilot testing and
content validation, our police department supplies Subject Matter
Experts from the target rank. These SME's are paid for their time, and
they receive resume credit in their file for their participation. The
department assigns a committee chair (from the managerial ranks) to
oversee the SME's, and the chair is allowed a great deal of latitude on
determining how many SME will participate. That number has been
growing, and now it appears they would like to have up to 20 SME
participate in the current process development. While I have raised
concerns about the efficiency and the potential for security issues
related to having such a large number of individuals intimately involved
in exercise development, I am getting considerable push back from the
department. Our department has approximately 1400 sworn positions,
and in the current process, 20 SME's represent about 20% of the
incumbents in the target rank, and it is likely about 30% of the number
of potential applicants we will have in the process. From nearly any
perspective, it seems like an extremely excessive number. I am
advocating we limit the numbers to 6-8, as in my experience, that is
sufficient. However, since the top officials are more likely to be
influenced by what other departments do than simple logic and reason, I
would like to ask, what is your target number of SME's to have involved
in your promotional processes? Any input would be appreciated.

Thomas Klus

Management Analyst III, Employment Div.

Department of Human Resources

Fairfax County Government