[IPAC-List] Test taking advice for personality tests

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Tue Nov 15 11:35:36 EST 2011

Personally, I think it is a reasonable consideration. So, no ducking
required AFAIC.

I think there is always the challenge of anticipating why the candidate
thinks they were rejected, and whether they think that is reasonable
grounds for rejection. Some years back, I was trying to make a case for
incorporating what we know about wisdom as a measurable construct when
it comes to selection of managerial candidates. I think everybody would
like to work for a manager whom they consider as wise. The trouble is,
if you were a candidate for a managerial position, would YOU want to be
rejected "because you weren't deemed wise enough"? At a certain point,
the manner in which candidates conceptualize the selection criteria
transforms their lack of success in the competition from something akin
to a lottery ("Sorry, try again") into a more profound judgment on them
as a person, and - rightly or wrongly - they take personal offense to
it.

I forget where I read it, but I recall a chapter in an edited book a
decade or so back, where the writer suggested that being able to "fake
good" on personality tests should be viewed not in terms of compromising
the validity of the test, but in terms of identifying people who
understood the organizational culture well, and might just fit in well.
An odd twist to the way we'd prefer to think of such instruments,
especially well-developed ones, but not one I'd dismiss out of hand,
either.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

>>> "Shekerjian, Rene" <Rene.Shekerjian at cs.state.ny.us> 2011/11/15

11:21 AM >>>
Okay, devil's advocate here (gets ready to duck).

If the various "psych-out-the test" posting are correct in what they
identify as the correct answers to the integrity tests (and similar
instruments) used by stores such as Best Buy, then I can see how it
appears that they throw good candidates for a loop. And yes, I
understand that the tests may have been validated in some fashion.

However, if there is some truth to what they say, my sense is that if
you are extremely honest and thoughtful, and answer the questions
sincerely, there is a good chance you are going to come up with answers
that do not line up with the "key."

I freely admit that I do not know how integrity tests and
conscientiousness tests work other than from a very cursory standpoint.
But I will note that there is some substantial controversy in the IO
literature about how effective such tests are. And given that, is it not
reasonable for your average citizen to have doubts? And if that person
is trying to get a job and feels unjustly rejected, might that not
create some hard feelings?

Just a thought...

René

René Shekerjian | Testing Services Division | NYS Department of Civil
Service |