[IPAC-List] Mistakes in selection

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Tue Nov 22 10:13:45 EST 2011

I recall a case that popped up on the evening news about 15-20 years
ago, where a single-mother baker, with an impeccable record as employee,
was obliged to take an integrity test by her employer, a large Canadian
grocery chain, and was fired because she was too honest and admitted to
some of the very minor youthful folly discussed in this thread. Not
sure what happened at the end, but the employer was chastened for their
rather reckless use of integrity tests.

Sometimes I think we confuse the validity and/or utility of some kinds
of tests with the thoughtfulness with which employers may use them, or
the manner in which candidates may prepare for them, or be coached to
prepare for them. Even with equal validity, some sorts of tools may be
a little more "bullet-proof" than others, or require more careful
handling, or more comprehensive messaging around them.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

>>> "Patrick McCoy" <Patrick.McCoy at psc-cfp.gc.ca> 2011/11/22 9:43 AM

Agree with you René. The honest person could be disadvantaged for
responding honestly.

Unless of course, the developer didn't assume that higher scores are
better. For example, they could select those who scored high but not
too high on tests of integrity or other constructs like that. But in
the federal public service it would probably be necessary to be
transparent and tell candidates that top scores are not necessarily
preferred. Right? Hey and then there is the potential issue of cross
cultural differences in modesty....

Pat McCoy
Ottawa

>>> "Shekerjian, Rene" <Rene.Shekerjian at cs.state.ny.us> 2011/11/22

9:26
AM >>>
The following excerpt from Mike's post seems to back up the blogger's
post that was recently shared here.

"A graduate student told me how an integrity test was used to screen
applicants at a jewelry store where she worked. The store staff
resented
the integrity test rejecting applicants who the staff had already
identified as acceptable for employment. To undermine the testing
process, the store staff coached the applicants prior to the taking of
the integrity test by telling them to answer consistent with this:
'You
have never stolen anything. None of your friends or family members
have
ever stolen anything. You believe that stealing anything, no matter
how
small, is very bad behavior. You believe that if someone steals
anything
at work, no matter how small, the person should be fired and
criminally
prosecuted.' No one who received this coaching ever failed the
integrity
test."

>From my naïve perspective I can only think, if the above is true,

that
a truly honest person would be doomed by such testing. For example, I
was brought up to be honest to a fault. It was considered immoral in
my
family to deviate at all from the truth. I would be compelled to
deviate
from the above advice, and here is why.

When I was four years old I stole some gum from the drug store.
I believe that if your family is starving it may be okay to steal some
food. Maybe not, but not absolutely not.
If someone stole 3 paper clips at work, I would let it slide.
I had a friend in grade school who walked out of a store once (to my
knowledge) without paying for some merchandise.

Of course I recognize that the above excerpt may simply be another
case
of misinformation. But if it is not, it raises some concerns.

René

René Shekerjian | Testing Services Division | NYS Department of Civil
Service