[IPAC-List] Candidate Reduction Strategies

David Friedland david at friedlandhr.com
Mon Mar 12 15:43:37 EDT 2012

I will be very interested to read the comments to this post. This approach
has logical appeal, but has some potential unintended consequences. For
exams that will attract large numbers of applicants you will need to
carefully determine how to select the pre-determined number of applications.
For example:

. Randomly select the desired number of applicants after all
applications are received - This risks angering some of those who were
randomly excluded from consideration. If the examination is considered to be
open and competitive this approach may be considered to prevent job-related
competition

. Accept only a pre-determined number of applications based on when
they are received (for example, using time stamps) - This method can raise a
risk of favoritism, bias or nepotism if some individuals or protected groups
may have advance knowledge or earlier knowledge than others of the job
announcement

. Danger of being too popular - I know of at least one instance when
the crush of applicants hoping to be among the first group resulted in some
injuries and damage to the recruitment office