[IPAC-List] Candidate Reduction Strategies

Ronald Clare rpclare at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 18:13:52 EDT 2012

I think there are two different circumstances that affect the option(s). Is the job a relatively generic one that almost anyone could do it given reasonable training during a perhaps somewhat extended orientation period OR is it one that relatively few candidates can do since significant competencies are needed relatively on day one. In the first case, I would do no screening and randomly select a number of candidates to take the exam. In the second case screening is much more crucial. I would then select the top "x" candidates to test. In both cases, to determine the number, I like to work backwards. First, how many will be hired, then how much choice is reasonable (ie how many can the hiring manager disregard without reason), then what is the typical pass rate of the test. Thus it would look like: 25 to be hired, manager gets additional 10 names for choice so we need 35 "top candidates". If the test has a history of 50% pass rate, 70 need to take the test ( actually 75 or 80 if you factor in "no show" experience). I would be inclusive of tie scores. Naturally the process outline ( not necessarily the logic) should be published with the initial announcement and repeated a each phase notification.

Sent from my iPad