[IPAC-List] Manager-level interviews involving peers or rank-and-file ...

Jeff Feuquay jfeuquay at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:27:44 EDT 2012

My recollection of a talk several years ago by Dr. Scott Highhouse, or I
could be making it up entirely, was that his department used a similarly
described process for the final selection of faculty. The trick, as I
understood it, is to provide to the panel only those individuals who are
well-qualified to do the job based on professional screening. That way, the
group interview can do little harm if it's not significantly less effective
than a coin toss. That is, except for that elephant in the room . . . when
a bunch of [insert age range], [insert race/ethnicity] [insert gender]
consistently presumes the most qualified candidate is much like themselves.
Then, after our best efforts, we end up with the limited-criteria "tap on
the shoulder" selection that EEOC seems particularly attracted to recently.
Jeff
Dr. Jeffrey P Feuquay, I/O Psychologist & Attorney
Special Counsel to Russell, Brown & Breckenridge, LLC and
Director, Psychology-Law Center, LLC
108 W. Walnut, PO Box 376, Nevada, MO 64772
ofc: 417.667.5076 fax: 417.667.3013