[IPAC-List] Fast and Flexible Merit-Based Employment

Demooy, Adele Adele.Demooy at mwrd.org
Wed Aug 22 13:07:45 EDT 2012

The District has a very structured and rigorous merit selection process. We administer written, structured oral, performance tests - or a combination thereof - for over 250 job classifications. We rarely use ratings of training and experience. Approximately 40 - 50 exams are administered annually to create eligible lists for original entrance and promotional appointments. Since candidates are allowed to review the tests at the end of the selection process, new examinations are developed for each administration. We would like to achieve greater flexibility, efficiency and hopefully, speed, in our selection process while still maintaining a commitment to merit-based employment. One option we are exploring is reducing the number of classifications requiring testing - either by merging classes in a series or consolidating classes with similar minimum qualifications. What approaches are other agencies using? To what extent are assessment questionnaires utilized? Does anyone use attainment of professional certification or licensure in lieu of an examination? Has anyone had to obtain revision of their enabling legislation and or personnel rules to implement solutions?

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Adele De Mooy
Employment Manager
Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago
(312)751-5172