[IPAC-List] Measurement education

Reed, Elizabeth EReed1 at Columbus.gov
Thu Oct 25 10:56:16 EDT 2012

Steven,

I noticed that you are working with fire and rescue personnel; from my experiences fire personnel are definitely an interesting group. When I first joined Columbus over 15 years ago the tensions between Fire and Civil Service were tense, primarily for the reasons that you state. I took the approach of listening. My goal was to find out what we were missing in the assessment process. At the time I heard this: "the people at the top of the list are book smart, " they cannot apply their knowledge to the real world.

Over the course of the last decade we have completely restructured our assessment process in the fire promotional ranks. It was 25% open-book multiple-choice, 25% closed-book multiple-choice, 25% written work sample and 25% oral board for all promotional ranks. It now looks like this:

Fire Lieutenant and Fire Captain: 25% closed-book multiple-choice (must pass), 50% tactical exercise-video scenarios with written response (must pass), 25% oral board.
Fire Battalion Chief: 25% closed-book multiple-choice, 50% tactical exercise-video scenarios with verbal interactive responses (must pass), 25% oral board.
And new this year for Fire Deputy Chief: 25% written work sample (planning problem), 50% tactical exercise-video scenarios with verbal interactive responses (must pass this phase) 25% oral board. Prior to this year the deputy chief had the multiple-choice instead of a written work sample.

Notice the reduced focus on multiple-choice. That took some work; after all they saw the multiple-choice as objective and fair.

Through these changes, division and union personnel saw us as responsive and those finishing at the top of the list were making more sense to them.

Since they are fire personnel and most have basic medical training, I often made the conversation of ranking about false negatives and false positives. They know from medical training that even the best of tests have false positives and false negatives. I would explain that our goal is to reduce both the false negatives and the false positives--but no test is a perfect predictor. This made sense to them.

As the results of our assessments improved--that is--generally better candidates were finishing at the top of the list, then trust in the process improved. At times candidates appeared at the top that were a surprise. They promoted hin/her anyway and found that they had an excellent supervisor/manager that they would not have noticed had it not been for our process. I'm not saying that we don't still have some false positives and false negatives--but the numbers have been minimized.

Liz

Elizabeth A. Reed
Public Safety Assessment Team Manager
Columbus Civil Service Commission