[IPAC-List] Measurement education

Shekerjian, Rene Rene.Shekerjian at cs.state.ny.us
Mon Nov 5 16:07:00 EST 2012

I think it is very easy to spot the obvious failures of tests. And as Dennis pointed out, failures there will be. But that doesn't make the process a bad investment. And it doesn't make the people who spot the obvious failures testing experts. I can spot some obvious failures in my car, but I am unable to successfully design a car. (If I designed a car, it would correct the one or two deficiencies that really bug me and have hundreds of others that I couldn't anticipate.)

It is fairly easy to explain the smart people who do well on tests but are unproductive or uncooperative; intelligence is not the same thing as conscientiousness, integrity, organizational ability, or the ability to interact effectively with others.

It is harder to explain the effective people who would make great hires but do poorly on our tests. But I did gain some insight from a manager the other day. He noted that one such person would have made a great manager because he knew how to delegate and keep a group humming along. Unfortunately, the test did not tap that ability sufficiently to award that person the points he needed to be among the top scorers. Apparently this person was weak in the other areas or had a bad day.

Your example may be tougher to explain, but it may be that the person who believes your assessment failed gets along easily and well with the candidate and others do not have the same experience.

René

René Shekerjian | Testing Services Division | NYS Department of Civil Service |