[IPAC-List] Future-oriented recruitment

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Thu Jan 31 13:24:30 EST 2013

I've been brought in to collaborate on a project on "strategic
recruitment", the focus being on targeting recruitment *now* to plug up
anticipated holes in the future that have been identified with big data.
At least part of this is through the lens of succession planning.

A few queries emerging from this:

1) What resources can any of you direct me to with respect to
prospective, future-oriented, assessment and selection? I recall seeing
some thing over the past decade but hadn't made close enough note of
them.

2) In your experience, are there practical limits to this? I'm working
in the federal government-wide context. Does it make sense to use
assessment for future roles at the point of intake when you don't know
where the individual might end up? Do managers even WANT to assess for
future roles if such an individual provides no assured benefit to their
own organization down the line?

3) Are there practical limits to how many steps ahead one might
recruit/assess for? Can one only recruit/assess in a prospective manner
for positions that are 1 or 2 levels above the initial position, such
that if I know I'm going to need X middle managers in a few years, I
have to recruit people that are only 1 or two levels below that now?
Are the competency profiles likely to be different enough that you
simply can't apply anticipated future gaps to how you assess in
recruitment?

4) Are the known (but debated) weaknesses of competency-based
assessment more likely to show up in this sort of approach? (For
example, the more competencies in the profile, the greater the
likelihood they are non-orthogonal and merely different names for the
same thing)

5) What do we know about how candidates respond to prospective-oriented
assessment? Is it more likely to give them hope, or cheese them off
because it's not about THIS job?

Curious as to what you folks think, but for the moment, good reading
material would be appreciated.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or
re-transmission is prohibited. If you are not a named recipient or not
authorized by the named recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, then please notify the sender immediately and delete
the message and any copies.

Ce courriel est destiné exclusivement au destinataire mentionné en titre
et peut contenir de l'information privilégiée, confidentielle ou
soustraite à la communication aux termes des lois applicables. Toute
divulgation non autorisée, toute reproduction ou réacheminement est
interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce courriel, ou n'êtes
pas autorisé par le destinataire visé, ou encore, si vous l'avez reçu
par erreur, veuillez le mentionner immédiatement à l'expéditeur et
supprimer le courriel et les copies.