[IPAC-List] Facebook

Barry Nathan barry.nathan at leaderbusinesscoaching.com
Tue Feb 26 09:42:35 EST 2013

I completely agree with Michael Blair.
Teenagers and college students can do some stupid things (including old people who once were teenagers). Social media is just that, a social media. I would not make any inferences.

Barry Nathan

On Feb 25, 2013, at 4:32 PM, Ronald Clare <rpclare at aol.com> wrote:

> While it is illegal to use or seek specific kinds of information in making a hiring decision, Facebook information is pubic and the fact that it is there does not prevent us from looking at the site for info that may be job related. I have personally seen Facebook entries that state: " I was so angry at my kid brother that I smacked him a good one" and "That was great pot we had last night". Both statement would disqualify a candidate from a number of jobs and to ignore it could create organizational liability. More and more HR offices are looking at all social media publicly available. I advise folks to be very cautious regarding their social media presence.

> Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 25, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Kelly Sorensen <kelsoren at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Another question might be "can you trust employers or graduate programs that use FB or other non-job-related information to make selection decisions?

>> A number of legislators are drafting legislation regarding what prospective employers can ask applicants to provide them. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/20/maryland-becomes-first-st_n_1439866.html

>> An additional concern is that searching an applicant's website will likely yield information that it is illegal to use in hiring, such as race, religious affilication, etc. And it would be difficult to prove that that information did not affect hiring decisions, though it would probably be equally difficult to prove that it did.

>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Blair, Michael [HR] <Michael.Blair at sprint.com> wrote:

>> Dennis –

>> My personal opinion is that Facebook is a social media site in the truest sense and an individual’s Facebook profile is not relevant from an employment or graduate admissions perspective. While I think it atypical that a someone in the 15-30 year age range (and climbing!) would not have a Facebook page, I would not let it influence me either way regarding entry into graduate school or employment. It’s just as likely that they have had the “fear of Facebook profiles” hammered into them via the media, their parents, friends, etc., so they deleted their account regardless of the actual content.

>> My observations indicate that student behavior in high school, college, and graduate school has not changed much in the past 40 years. However, due to social media, it’s more visible and discoverable.

>> _________________________________

>> Michael Blair

>> Manager Recruitment

>> Network Operations, Wholesale & Recruitment Technology

>> Office: 913-439-5222/ Wireless: 913-832-6130

>> michael.blair at sprint.com

>> www.linkedin.com/in/blairmichaeld

Barry R. Nathan, PhD
Organizational Psychologist
Leader Business Coaching
barry.nathan at LeaderBusinessCoaching.com
412.901.2685
www.LeaderBusinessCoaching.com