[IPAC-List] Time for Situational Interview Questions

Glen Morry Glen.Morry at rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Thu Mar 14 08:08:39 EDT 2013

Hi Dennis -

We use a behavioral interview consisting of 18 questions (covering 8 competencies, and values and ethics) for selecting/promoting commissioned officers. It typically takes 2 1/2 hours plus, depending on how talkative the candidate is. So about 8-10 minutes per question. We train our interviewers to ask a lot of probes/follow-up questions to ensure they get a full and accurate behavioral example (situation/task, actions and results).

We also use a structured interview as part of the selection process for cadets to go to our training academy. This interview consists of a mix of 15 behavioral and situational questions, and it typically takes 2 to 3 hours. So here again, 8 to 10 minutes per question.

Glen Morry
RCMP