[IPAC-List] Civil service eligible lists and USERRA

Lance Seberhagen sebe at erols.com
Wed Mar 27 11:51:37 EDT 2013

There is no reliable and valid way to convert (or equate) a score from
one promotional exam to another promotional exam.This is especially true
in public safety promotional exams in which candidates are ranked down
to a fraction of a point.Therefore, the one remaining candidate from the
old eligible list should be required to take the new promotional exam
and compete on an equal basis with all other applicants.

If the last remaining candidate on an eligible list were away on
military duty, he/she would not be available for promotion, so the
selecting official would have no choice but to administer another
promotional exam if the vacant position needs to be filled before the
candidate returns from military duty.

Under USERRA, returning military members generally have the right to be
re-employed in the job that they would have attained if they were not
absent for military service.However, candidates on an eligible list have
no guarantee of promotion, and their status on the eligible list has a
limited duration.Therefore, it does not appear that returning military
members have a right to a promotion, or a spot on a new eligible list,
unless there is case law to the contrary.

*USERRA Fact Sheet*

http://www.dol.gov/vets/programs/userra/userra_fs.htm

Signature - Seberhagen & Associates

*Lance Seberhagen, Ph.D.