[IPAC-List] Personality Assessments

dputka at humrro.org dputka at humrro.org
Fri Sep 13 10:52:35 EDT 2013

One quick note here, though research has generally indicated that faking
on personality measures tends to be more of an "issue" at the top end of
the distribution (which is why there is a common suggestion to use them to
make screen out decisions), one potential issue with using personality
assessments for screen out decisions is that they tend to be highly
susceptible to simple coaching strategies - and this generally holds
whether one is dealing with simple likert or forced choice formats.

Consider the following two scenarios:

1. An organization uses a simple personality measure with items on a 1-5
Likert scale in a selection context with a relatively low cut score.
Assume the measure has a typical mix of reverse scored items. If
candidates are coached to simply respond using 3's, they will beat the cut
score.

2. An organization is using a forced choice personality measure that asks
individuals to pick which statement in a pair is most like them. Again,
the organization is using the measure to aid in selection decisions, and
using a low cut score. Assume the measure has been very carefully
developed and statements are well matched on SD. If candidates are
coached to simply flip a coin and pick statement A if they get heads, and
B if they get tails, they will likely beat the cut score.

The more high stakes the testing situation, and the more
established/widespread the testing program is, the more likely coaching is
some form will occur. Thus, if a personality measure is being considered
for select out purposes, it may be more important to consider
susceptibility to coaching, rather than faking as it has been
traditionally studied.

To my knowledge, I don't recall seeing any published personality research
that has addressed (a) the implications of coaching for personality
measures used to make select out decisions, nor (b) how to design measures
in a way to combat the simple coaching strategies such as the ones noted
above. If anyone has, I'd be interested to hear about it!

All that being said (and back to the original post), I think there is some
very interesting research being done with regard to the "dark side" of
personality, and with careful attention to issues of faking and coaching
in light of the specific testing context, could have value for selection.
Of course, the devil is in the details, and as noted in earlier posts,
there are richer types of assessments that can reveal the traits of
interest (e.g., AC exercises, simulations, interviews).

Dan

Dan J. Putka, Ph.D., Director, Federal Talent Management
Human Resources Research Organization (HumRRO)
E-mail: dputka at humrro.org
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dputka
Phone: 703.706.5640 Fax: 703.548.5574 www.humrro.org
66 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 700 Alexandria, VA 22314-1591